Wednesday 22 February 2017

Experience Reflection - Repeat Pattern - BAIS300

What was the experience/workshop/session?
Our workshop was focused around learning how to create your own repeat pattern using Photoshop. This involved creating both a simple and complex pattern, which we would then impose onto different products to see how the designs could be applied to different products.

I created the individual images for my pattern using watercolour, which I then scanned in and edited. I then resized and arranged them following the instructions, in order to create my repeat patterns.

How do you feel about the process?
The process involves careful thought and planning, which I really enjoyed. The logic involved is essential to creating a functioning and successful pattern, which was satisfying when you got to see the final result applied to different products and items. Overall I think that the process enabled you to think differently about your work, as you had to be mindful of different criteria which wouldn't be necessary in other processes, e.g thinking about the organisation of colours and how the shapes interlink together to form a repeat block.

How will you apply this in the future?
Repeat patterns really allow you to create a huge range of items, like stationary, books and wrapping paper, but the process could also be used in other designs, e.g in a scene you might need a pattern for some curtains or wallpaper in a children's book.

The process and technique is very versatile, and so can be used and adapted to help me in all sorts of ways in the future.

What would you like to build on?
I would like to practice making my patterns more successful in a way so you can't see the repeat so obviously. Very often in pattern designs you can see the repeat square, and I think that it distracts the attention away from viewing the design as a whole. This is something I wish to avoid and take note of in the future.

How could you relate to Gods & Monsters?
As I have mentioned before, you can apply the repeat pattern design to a range of different products, and so the possibilities are endless. I made this pattern based around the monsters habitat: the woods, but I could expand this and relate it more closely to the theme, by using my monster design within the pattern itself - then creating something from the pattern.

My simple repeat pattern

My complex pattern square

My complex repeat pattern

My complex repeat pattern applied to a range of different products

My repeat pattern printed onto fabric

No comments:

Post a Comment