Wednesday 19 October 2016

Experience Reflection - Photoshop Layers - BAIS300

What was the experience/workshop/session?
In the workshop we were taught how to create a character on Photoshop, created from layers of paper drawn on a light box.

We started by drawing our monster, firstly drawing the outline, and then layering a piece of paper on top to add detail and different textures. Each section of the image was drawn several times, using different mark-making techniques, in order to create a large portfolio of materials to use later on. Next these layers were scanned onto the computer, and opened in Photoshop. Each layer was cleaned up by cropping and altering the 'levels' in the adjustments tab. Each layer was then aligned on top of each other, changing the layer type to 'multiply', so that they almost became sheets of acetate - allowing you to see all of the layers stacked on top of one another. The layers could be changed colour using clipping masks, which allowed you to create an endless variety of outcomes in a short amount of time.

How do you feel about the process?
The process opened so many opportunities for me as it taught me so much about Photoshop. In addition to this, the actual process enabled me to change my designs quickly, so that I ended up with a large quantity of outcomes, which would be very useful when trying out several different ideas in the future.

How will you apply this in the future?
As mentioned above, this process could be applied to a variety of different projects. The ease of changing textures and colours, would allow me to play around with different concepts when trying to find the most successful version for a project brief.

What would you like to build on?
Perhaps the thing that makes this process successful and so versatile is the layering of different textures. Therefore, maybe I would like to build on the range of mark-making techniques that I utilise in the initial stages, so that my outcomes would be even more successful and effective.

How could this relate to Gods & Monsters?
I have already used this process to create renderings of my monster, however it could be used to create scenes and landscapes too, so that I could make images for a zine or poster.



No comments:

Post a Comment