Wednesday 4 January 2017

Experience Reflection - Laser Cutter - BAIS300

What was the experience/workshop/session?
We were inducted and taught how to use the laser cutter, which involved creating a design, scanning/altering it digitally (on Photoshop and Illustrator), and then programming the laser machine. Although I have used a laser cutter previously, I hadn't actually learnt how to set up the machine, or what type of file was compatible. Therefore this workshop was really valuable at enabling me to become more independent and self sufficient if I was to use this process again in future projects. 

How do you feel about the process?
I was surprised at how easy it was to go from a drawing to a laser cut, as I had only used the laser cutter before by drawing directly onto the computer. The process that we were introduced to enabled us to create our designs by hand, and then scanning and converting them into vectors for the laser cutter to read. This technique enabled me to have much more control over the design, rather than trying to create the equivalent straight onto a computer using a mouse. 

How will you apply this in the future?
Laser cutting is something that you see quite frequently in illustration, for example on greeting cards and stationary. Therefore, this workshop was very valuable as it would allow me to create detailed paper cuts for future project outcomes. Furthermore, the laser cutter can cut multiple different materials, and so is really versatile when working on a range of different projects. 

What would you like to build on?
I think that the thing that would make this process easier, would be if I just had more practice. Also I would like to experiment with creating more intricate designs, in order to really take full advantage of the machines capabilities.

How could this relate to Gods & Monsters?
The possibilities are endless of what you could create with the laser cutter. An example could be to create a paper vignette including your monster in a scene.


No comments:

Post a Comment