Friday 31 March 2017

Experience Reflection - Ceramics - BAIS300

What was the experience/workshop/session?
For my second interdisciplinary rotation I took part in 3D Design Crafts, in which the brief was to create a dysfunctional table setting, using either metal, glass or ceramics. Originally I was allocated metal, but managed to swap to ceramics as it is something that I have been wanting to have a go at. In the workshops we had to make a ceramic plate which had to be dysfunctional, and we also had to collaborate with two other people in the other workshops, in order to piece together an entire complete table setting.

As the workshops were just an introduction to the practice, we started from the very basics, in order to build up our skills (and to also create a piece in the small time frame). We created ceramic plates by using pre-made fired bowls, in which we used as a template to lay our clay over. The first session was spent creating the plate, the second was spent applying glazes and oxides, and the third was spent setting up for the interdisciplinary exhibition.

How do you feel about the process?
I really enjoyed my short time working with ceramics, although it was limited with time and what you were able to create, the actual skills and process was really enjoyable. I also really enjoyed meeting new people from different disciplines, and working in a different environment. The ceramics itself was both easy and challenging, as I found creating the plate relatively easy, but when applying the oxides and glazes, the outcomes were unpredictable. As the glaze that I added to my piece didn't turn out how I had wished or anticipated, I would perhaps like to go back to improve it. Although the final finish of my plate is perfect for the brief (as I think that it looks mouldy, and so would be dysfunctional), I was hoping for brighter blues and greens, and so could go back to try to achieve this. Despite this however, I have learned so much about the process, and can learn from my mistakes in order to be more successful next time.

How will you apply this in the future?
Ceramics isn't the obvious path for an illustrator, however it can definitely enrich your practice. I have wanted to try out the ceramic facilities at the college, and so these workshops have undoubtedly opened up future opportunities for myself in order to pursue the practice further.

What would you like to build on?
As I have mentioned before, I wasn't entirely happy with how he glaze came out, and so if we were given an extra week, I could have re-glazed my plate in hope for a more successful outcome. However, I might choose to go back in my spare time, in order to improve it.

How could this relate to Gods & Monsters?
I could create my monster in ceramics, or apply one of my designs from a previous workshop to the surface of a ceramic item.

My plate once its been bisque baked, and after I had applied different coloured slips.

After applying the transparent gloss glaze



The finished result

My plate in the interdisciplinary exhibition (with other table settings)

We decided to go with a 'melted' theme, inspired by Salvador Dalí's 'melting clocks', which would bring our groups table setting together as a whole.

Extension/Further Study - (28th April)
I decided to go back down to the ceramics studio in order to make improvements to my plate - and I am really happy and surprised with the result:



Just by adding more white glaze and copper oxide it has totally transformed the whole piece! The colours are beautiful and are exactly what I was going for in the first place. It has definitely paid off going back and spending more time into improving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment