Wednesday 2 May 2018

Printmaking Artists

As I'm doing some printmaking for this project, I have chosen to conduct some research into some professional printmakers, and their practice:

Beatrice Forshall


Beatrice Forshall is a printmaker, who focuses her practice around all types of wildlife. She describes her method as 'drypoint engraving'. Although I can't find any images/videos of her process, she appears to print on top of coloured media, or works into the prints after they have dried.  

Forshall is driven by her love for animals, and concern for their future welfare, thus mainly depicting animals of endangerment in her prints. 

"Ever since I was a child I have been interested in wildlife, and my work mainly revolved around animals and conservation. I find the natural world an infinite source of inspiration".

It is clear to see that I share the same inspiration when creating prints. Although I don't plan to add full colour to my etchings, it is something to consider. Nevertheless, its her simple, effortless compositions which really bring light to her subjects, which is something that I plan to carry forward in my own printmaking journey - this is what ultimately conveys the power and importance of the animals. They always remain the primary focus, and are not overpowered or distracted by any background image. 

"We need to recognise that humans do not have overriding claims to the planet's resources... the hostile universe should be shared... I hope that my illustrations of endangered species will help to reconcile people to this... and make them realise that we are all paying a far greater price that what's printed on the label" - Beatrice Forshall

Rose Forshall


I couldn't find much information about Rose Forshall, but I learnt that she mainly focuses on collagraph printmaking (see process video above). She is a part-time lecturer at Falmouth University, and is interested not only in printmaking, but also "the presentation of illustration in unusual contexts". Her images are more playful and contemporary, than of those of Bea Forshall, who takes a more realistic and representative approach. 

I don't know how my printmaking will be inspired by her work, but I chose to look into her process to broaden my understanding of the field, and the possibilities of alternative methods. 

Resources:
https://www.beatriceforshall.com/about-me/
https://beaforshall.wordpress.com/page/2/
http://www.thebowiegallery.co.uk/artists/bea-forshall/
http://www.roseforshall.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment