Monday 15 January 2018

Art in the Experience - BAIL203

For my outcome for the Well-Being project, I really want the experience that you get from the piece to be part of the focus. I want the emotions that you feel in response to my art to actually have a positive effect on your well-being.

I have found several examples of artists who make art to brighten up people's days: Jan Vormann, Paige Smith, and Jim Bachor. These all however use the experience as a 'secondary meaning', and the main motivation for these artists are bigger world issues - the experience isn't always the sole focus.

I've been trying to source a piece of art where the experience itself is the art. I've managed to come across the work of James Turell, specifically his exhibition at the Guggenheim Museum: Aten Reign.




The exhibition piece itself deals with such simple and ordinary things: light, space and perception. His work encourages you to reconnect you with your senses, and it's the experience itself which is the art form. A request was put forward for visitors not to photograph the exhibits, as Turell really wanted to put emphasis on the experience - and that it is an essential and vital part of the art (which cannot be replicated on any level through photos).

No comments:

Post a Comment