Thursday 12 January 2017

Dioramas (Photos & GIF) - BAIL102

Today we used our images that we created during the 'Little Red Riding Hood Sketchbook Task' to create a diorama. Working in pairs, we used elements from both of our sketchbooks to create 3 scenes, each presenting a different stage of our story. This story could be true to the original, or a complete modern twist, and the final outcome from the task would be a series of photographs.

This is the full model/diorama that me and Sophie created:


First Red Riding Hood ventures into the woods

Then she discovers a house, with the wolf inside

But after overcoming her fears, she befriends the wolf (an alternative ending)

After producing these 3 final photographs I saw the opportunity to add lighting from inside the house, in order to highlight the wolf more effectively. I did this by poking a hole through the base & sticking a fake candle through. I absolutely love the outcome, especially the warm glow on the trees: 


After this I also wanted to extend the project even further, and thought that I could create a GIF of the flickering light to create a different type of outcome. I had to increase the lighting of this one, as the lighting conditions had changed from taking the original photograph, but I quite like the dramatic 'moon lit' shadows in it:


At the end of this workshop I came away with learning an entire new skill and technique for creating scenes. I love the way that shadows and the sense of depth can be effortlessly created using dioramas, which can be hard to achieve in typical drawings. Perhaps in future projects I will create dioramas in order to create amazing scenes that come to life so quickly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment